Wednesday, March 23, 2016

"Little Boxes" - Theme Song for "Weeds"

Hey all,

Remember when I broke out singing in class last night? :) I pasted a link below for the original version of the song. The video is actually a clip of the opening credits for the show "Weeds," which, in case you don't already know, is about a suburban housewife who becomes a pot dealer to support her family after her husband dies suddenly of a heart attack. The show is a humorous, bald-faced critique of the suburbs as it chronicles the individual lives of characters within this particular community facing very real struggles. As an added bonus, the name of the suburb in the show is "Agrestic," meaning rural/rustic or unpolished/awkward behavior. The "rural" of this suburb is constructed, mimicked, faux "rustic," and of course, everyone in the show is very awkward, to say the least. 

Anyway, the song "Little Boxes" is a classic, first written and recorded in 1962 by Malvina Reynolds, who - just to add to how meta this all is - actually earned her PhD in English. This song has been covered and re-released and re-recorded many times and speaks to the commodification of the individual and the idea of mass produced people (the "seriality" in Stewart is what brought this to mind) as it applies to the domestic spaces of the suburbs. The visuals along with the song are perfect, and the clip is only a minute long.

I hope you find it as interesting and entertaining as I did! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omPGf5_6dUA&sns=em

No comments:

Post a Comment